Sunday, April 29, 2012

So Walk


Colossians 2:6-8


Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ


Paul has been talking here how although he had not been to Colossi he wanted them to succeed. As a pastor my biggest concern is for my flock to succeed in their walk with Christ. In my younger days I was more concerned with growth in numbers instead of the people that attended personal growth. God was able to change my outlook and it was a freeing experience. No longer does the number matter. Now I want to see growth in the ones who attend.
In these three short verses Paul gives us guidance on how we should walk. Four simple but very important points that will help us if we focus on them.

Rooted - cause to take root, become permanently fixed. The Greek here has action. It doesn't just mean to have roots, it means to cause to have roots. There are times in all of our lives that we have to do things to help us perform a certain way. Right now in my life I work as a contractor teaching the operators at Watts Bar Nuclear Plant. As a contractor I am just filling a gap till they get enough experienced operators to fill the instructor positions. When I first started working, I was not sure how much ownership I should take in what the operators learned in my classes. This is my first contractor job and it was all new to me. After a few weeks I felt I needed to be more rooted at Watts Bar. I did a simple thing that I had no ideal would help. I took a picture of my grandchildren to work with me for my office. Now the new place I was at seems like home. This one action helped me become rooted at Watts Bar. Are they some minor things you can do to help you become rooted where God has placed you? Yes try these:
-Take a job in the work where God has put you. Doesn't have to be a big job. Doesn't have to take a lot of time.
-Take interest in the people God has put you with. After church ask for more information about prayer request.
-Show up for a work day. Sweat seems to help grow roots.

Built up - Word suggest growth. If you are not growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ you need to change your walk. We all started out as babies and grew through toddler, yard ape, teen ager and young adult. The problem is some have been a Christian for 30 years and are still a babe in Christ.
-Study the word
-Pray with a hacking prayer

Established in faith - You are not born with the ability to have faith. I tell people don't let the first thing you trust God with be the life of your child. You must trust God with daily things, and work your way up to the life of a child. When do you have faith? If you are hurting and you ask God to heal you, does your faith start when the pain stops? No, you must believe when you ask, even if the pain is still present. Establish means make it happen. Faith is a choice.

Ways to be held Captive - In order to walk (move) we must not be held captive. Short list from these verses on ways this world will try to stop us from walking:
Philosophy (mans)
Deceit
Human Tradition
Elemental Spirits


No comments:

Post a Comment